Are you awfully mad about PS4 gaming? No doubt, PS4 controllers can spike your gaming experience tremendously. So involving yourself in PS4 gaming for long hours is not a big deal. Also, the PS4 is such an incredible gaming controller that you can use it for long sessions without getting overheated. But what about using PS4 Controller on PC? Are you new to the gaming world? Or do you want to switch your gaming adventure from keyboard and mouse to PS4 Controller? If you are new one in the gaming world, there is no need to worry. And to make it clear, using PS4 Controller on PC is not challenging. Also, if you are switching to PS4, you might have got bored of pressing the wrong keys on your keyboard.
Table of Contents
What is PS4?
PlayStation 4 Dualshock 4, developed by Sony Interactive Entertainment, is an eighth-generation video game controller. Somewhat similar to Dualshock 3, a list of some new features is added. A clickable two-point touchpad that can represent multiple buttons is one of the prime features. Moreover, the light bar containing 3 LEDs glow numerous colours matching the user’s character colour that a user controls in a game. In addition, the PS4 Controller is the second one in video game history to have a mono speaker feature. The buttons you can get in this Controller are PS buttons, Directional buttons, OPTIONS button, SHARE buttons, action buttons, triggers (R2/L2), shoulder buttons (R1/L1), analog stick click buttons (L3/R3), & a touchpad click button.
3 best methods for using PS4 Controller on PC
Playing with a controller is just a way to relax your body while leaning back on your sofas or bean bags. Thus, we have come with some easy methods to connect your Controller to the PC. The first method is by launching Steam on your PC. Steam is a free to download and use platform that enables gamers to play games on their PC. Moreover, Steam is able to store a huge collection of games without utilizing large memory in your computer system.
Steam via USB
1. First, you need to launch Steam on your computer.
How to launch Steam?
- Go to the start button
- Search for Steam, and click on it to launch it.
- Hold the command key and click the Space button; you will get a search box.
- Search for Steam in the pop-up menu.
- Select Steam and launch it.
2. You can download & install the updates of Steam if it shows any.
3. Once the Steam is launched, connect the PS4 Controller to your PC using a micro USB cable.
4. In the steam window, choose View, then go to Settings.
5. Select Controller in the settings menu; next, choose General Controller Settings.
6. You will get to see your controller name when Steam automatically detects controllers.
7. Select your PS4 Controller; you can make changes in the name of your Controller, you can also change the light’s colour.
8. Click on the submit button and save all changes.
Steam via Bluetooth
If you have an in-built Bluetooth feature in your PC, then go with the process, and in case your PC is an old one, use a Bluetooth adapter.
Here’s the process of using PS4 Controller on PC via Steam wirelessly:
- Launch Steam by searching it from the start menu.
- You now need to hold the PS button and share button simultaneously until the light starts flashing on your Controller.
- Once you see your controller name in the list on your computer screen, press the X button on your Controller. Your Controller is activated and connected to your PC.
Using PS4 Controller on PC via USB
The easiest method of using PS4 Controller on PC is to connect it via USB. So what you need is your Controller, a USB cable and a PC. The USB cable we are talking about is the regular one that you use to charge your smartphones. It’s readily available at anyone’s home. So here’s what you need to do:
- Insert the mini USB cable part in the space in the front of your Controller.
- Stuff the bigger part of the cable in the USB port of your PC that is in the CPU (at the side if you are using a laptop).
- Your PS4 Controller is connected to your computer.
Using PS4 Controller on PC via Bluetooth
If you don’t have an old PC, you will definitely find Bluetooth in your PC. Thus if your PC supports Bluetooth, here’s another method for using PS4 Controller on PC. You can connect your Controller wirelessly to your computer. The PS5 Dualsense Controller can also be connected to your PC via Bluetooth, but it might not support each game. Follow the below-mentioned process.
- The first step to perform is to turn off your PS4 Controller. Next, you need to simultaneously press and hold the PS button and share button for 3-4 seconds until the light on the Controller starts to blink. Once the light starts blinking, it means that your Controller is ready to pair.
- Open the Bluetooth settings on your PC.
- Pair your Controller with the PC.
For Windows 10 and 8
By following the below-mentioned steps, you can very easily pair your Controller to a PC for Windows 10 and 8.
- Go to settings from the start button.
- Choose the option devices.
- Go to the Bluetooth option and make sure that the button is on. After this, click on the Add device option.
- Now you will see the PS4 Controller, which you need to click and pair.
For Windows 7
- Click on the Start menu.
- Move to the Control Panel option.
- Click on the device and printers option in the hardware and sound menu.
- Next, click on Add a device.
- After clicking, you will find a window in which all the available devices are there.
- Further, click on the PS4 Controller and connect.
Mac operating system
- To begin with, choose the Apple menu on your Mac, go to system preferences, then select Bluetooth and click on it. Your Bluetooth is now turned on and ready to pair a new device.
- You will see all the devices in the Bluetooth list.
- Finally, click on the name of your Controller, pair and connect it. Enjoy!
What if your PC doesn’t support Bluetooth?
You can go for a wireless Bluetooth adapter in case you do not have an in-built Bluetooth feature on your PC. We have given light to the latest adapters in the market below. Moreover, these adapters are suitable for both Windows operating systems and macOS. So either you can choose any one of them, or you can go for other adapters in the market.
The Asus BT500 Bluetooth adapter
The Asus BT500 can be a good choice if you require a Bluetooth adapter for both Windows and Mac. It can pair with seven devices simultaneously with a 40 meters maximum range. Furthermore, the Asus BT500 is capable of connecting any Bluetooth-facilitated devices, such as speakers, headsets, or game controllers. This $20 Bluetooth adapter is probably the one you should buy to enable Bluetooth service on your PC.
ideapro USB Bluetooth adapter
The ideapro is an adapter that is featured to work on Windows, Mac, and LINUX. Moreover, it is one of the latest Bluetooth adapters in the market. Moreover, with low power consumption, it also works on Raspberry pi. Overall it is a satisfying, reliable, low-cost Bluetooth adapter you should definitely buy.
Which USB cable should I use?
You can use a type-A USB connector that fits in the PC and a micro USB connector that fits in the PS4 Controller.
Why do I see a flashing white light on my Controller?
It can be due to two reasons; first, your Controller’s battery might be low, and the second one, your Controller might have failed to connect.
Why is the PS button on my Controller not working?
This issue arises when the database of PS4 is corrupted, or probably there might be an issue with the USB connection, with a USB cable or the USB port.
How many PS4 controllers can I connect to the PC?
The maximum number of controllers that a PC supports is 4.
Can I connect two PS4 controllers to the PC via Bluetooth?
You can connect a maximum of 4 controllers to the PC via Bluetooth.
My Steam is not detecting the Controller. What should I do?
Try to unplug the micro USB cable, and plug it in again. If this doesn’t work, use another cable.
Conclusion on using PS4 Controller on PC
Overall, using PS4 Controller on PC is not a beast of burden. It takes a few minutes to connect your Controller to the computer system via any of the above methods. However, make sure that you use the updated Steam, a good quality USB cable, and a trendy Bluetooth adapter. As if you take care of this, you might save some time having trouble connecting.