What is Dota 2 Tournaments?
Dota tournaments are competitions in which teams of players compete against each other in the Dota game mode. The objective is simple: destroy the enemy’s ancient structure, called the “ancient,” and thereby won the match.
The first Dota tournament was hosted by Blizzard Entertainment in 2010 for their game Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. The tournament had a $50,000 prize pool and was won by Natus Vincere. Dota tournaments have continued to grow in popularity and size since then. In early 2014, Valve Corporation announced that they would be hosting their own Dota tournament, called The International 2014 (TI), with a prize pool of over $11 million. TI2014 was won by Newbee, a Chinese team that took home just over $five million.
Dota tournaments are now a staple of the esports scene, with teams from all over the world competing for sizable prize pools. The biggest Dota tournament of the year is undoubtedly TI, but other tournaments such as ESL One and The Summit also offer large prize pools and attract some of the best Dota teams in the world. If you’re interested in watching some high-level Dota action, be sure to tune in to one of these tournaments!
Brief Details About Dota 2 Tournaments
- The Dota Pro Circuit (DPC) is a series of tournaments organized by Valve Corporation. The first season of Dota 2 tournaments began in November 2017 and ended in August 2018. The second season will begin in September 2018 and end in March 2019.
- The DPC features several tiers of tournaments, with the top tier being the “The International” tournament. All DPC tournaments award Dota Pro Circuit Points to competing teams. So the team with the most points at the end of the season has crowned the champion of the Dota Pro Circuit and wins a million-dollar prize pool.
- There are several ways for teams to earn points throughout the season. The main way to earn points is by placing high in premier tournaments such as “The International.” However, there are also numerous lower-tier tournaments that award points. These tournaments include online qualifiers, regional qualifiers, and LAN finals.
- The Dota Pro Circuit is a great way for teams to compete and earn points throughout the season. Although all the top teams at the end of the season will be rewarded with a large prize pool and will be crowned the champion of the Dota Pro Circuit. Thanks for reading!
Details of Upcoming Dota 2 Tournaments
- The Boston Major
- The Dota Pit League Season Five
- ESL One Genting
- Data Summit VII
The Boston Major is the first of four tournaments that make up the Dota Pro Circuit. In this Sixteen teams competed for a share of the $ three million prize pool and qualification points towards The International. Dota 2 teams have been divided into two groups, with eight teams in each. Group stage matches will be played in a best of two formats. The playoffs will be a best of three, single-elimination bracket.
The Dota Pit League Season Five is an online tournament that started on December 12th and ran until January 22nd. Participating in eight teams in a double-elimination bracket.
ESL One Genting is a Dota 2 tournament that will take place in Malaysia from January 23rd to January 29th.
Dota Summit VII is an invitational tournament that will take place from January 31st to February 05th. Six teams have been invited, with the final two spots being determined by qualifiers. The tournament format has not yet been announced.
Other details regarding DOTA 2 Tournaments
- Prize Money for DOta 2 Tournaments:
- The Boston Major: $ three million
- The Dota Pit League Season Five: $ one thousand
- ESL One Genting: $ one hundred fifty thousand
Dota Summit VII: Undisclosed amount. Six teams have been invited, with the final two spots being determined by qualifiers. The tournament format has not yet been announced.
Upcoming Dota 2 tournaments in January and February include The Boston Major, The Dota Pit League Season Five, ESL One Genting, and Dota Summit VII. These tournaments offer a combined prize pool of over $ four million. Which tournament are you most excited about? Let us know in the comments below!